We have this ugly eyesore of a plumbing part in the middle of our front yard. I think it's the water-main shut-off, but in six years we've never had reason to access it. So, I decided to cover it up! (UPDATE: This is in fact a sewage cap. Ugh. But, I've been told it's fine to cover it. Fertilizer!)
I used a wine crate, hollowed out to allow room for the eyesore. I lined it with a black weed blocker sheet, stapled gunned in place.
I painted our address using the most simple method -- print out numbers using the computer, rub chalk on the back of the paper, lay the sheet where the numbers will go, trace the outline with a pencil, and fill in with paint.
Now we have an address marker, visible as you turn the corner, and beautiful flowers to boot. Hopefully we won't have a plumbing disaster any time soon! The inspiration for the planter came from here.
(I know grass is long, I just couldn't wait until the weekend, when we mow, to take pictures.)